Monday, November 7, 2011

Amanuensis Monday: Marriage License for Herman Feinstein and Annie Blatt

Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

I continue my project to transcribe family letters, journals, newspaper articles, audiotapes, and other historical artifacts. Not only do the documents contain genealogical information, the words breathe life into kin - some I never met - others I see a time in their life before I knew them.

I began this project back in February of 2009, and since then, many others have joined in on the meme.  Why do we transcribe? I provide my three reasons in the linked post. You may find others. If you participate, feel free to leave a link to your post in the comments.
***
Last week I transcribed the Application for a Marriage License filed by my great grandparents Herman Feinstein and Annie Blatt. This week, I transcribe the actual marriage license.

Marriage License
Office of Recorder of Deeds

State of Missouri }
City of St. Louis } ss

This License authorizes any Judge of a Court of Record, Justice of the Peace or Licensed or Ordained Preacher of the Gospel, who is a citizen of the United States, or who is a resident of and a Pastor of any Church in this State, to solemnize marriage between

Mr. Herman M. Feinstein
Of St. Louis State of Mo. Who is over the age of twenty-one years; and

Miss Annie Blatt
Of St. Louis State of Mo. Who is over the age of eighteen years.

Witness my hand as Recorder with the seal of office hereto affixed at my office in the City of St. Louis, this 3rd day of May 1912

Chas F. Joy Recorder
(illegible) Marriage License Clerk

State of Missouri }
City of St. Louis } ss

This is to certify that the undersigned, a Jewish Rabbi did at St. Louis in the State of Missouri, on the 26th day of May, 1912, unite in marriage the above named persons.

The person performing the marriage ceremony will please insert after his signature the place of his office, church, or residence. This license must be returned to the office of Recorder of Deeds by the person solemnizing the marriage within ninety days from the issuing thereof.

Rabbi of Cong. Sheerith Sphard
Zachariah Rosenfeld
1508 Wash Street

Notes:

1. Zachariah Rosenfeld was Rabbi at Sheerith Sphard from 1897-1915 (source), and the location of the synagogue was 1500 Wash Street (source).
 He was also Chief Orthodox Rabbi of St. Louis. A photo of him is on the left.

2. I find it interesting that the license allows for an "Ordained Preacher of The Gospel...who is a resident of and a Pastor of any Church in this State."  -- and apparently a rabbi falls under this category, even though he most likely did not preach the Gospel. [Perhaps the capitalized word could be used in the generic sense.]

3. I also find it interesting that the groom was supposed to be over 21, but the bride was only supposed to be over 18. (I believe those under the ages could marry with parental consent.  I have seen the consent signatures for underage brides.)

4. Herman and Annie's first child was born nine months later, in February of 1913.

No comments: