Monday, September 19, 2011

Amanuensis Monday: Application for the Moolah Shrine Temple - 1927

Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

I continue my project to transcribe family letters, journals, newspaper articles, audiotapes, and other historical artifacts. Not only do the documents contain genealogical information, the words breathe life into kin - some I never met - others I see a time in their life before I knew them.

I began this project back in February of 2009, and since then, many others have joined in on the meme.  Why do we transcribe?  I provide my three reasons in the linked post.  You may find others.  If you participate, feel free to leave a link to your post in the comments.

***

This week, I transcribe the application my great grandfather, Herman Max Feinstein, submitted to the Moolah Shrine Temple for admittance.


Elected Dec 12 1927
Created Dec 12 1927
Moolah Temple
Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine
Oasis of St. Louis

To the Illustrious Potentate, Officers and Members of Moolah Temple:

I, the undersigned, hereby declare that I am a Thirty-Second Degree Scottish Rite Mason in good standing in Missouri #1 Consistory, located at St. Louis, MO.

Furthermore, I do not now, and I never will hold membership in, or allegiance to, any body claiming to be Masonic that has been declared clandestine by the Supreme Council 33° for the Northern or the Southern Jurisdiction of the United States of America; that I have resided within the jurisdiction of your Temple, or in unoccupied territory, not less than six months, as required by the Constitution of the Imperial Council, and that I am not under suspension or expulsion in either of the bodies prerequisite to this Order, and respectfully pray that I may be made a Noble of the Mystic Shrine, and become a member of your Temple.

I furthermore represent that I have never previously applied for said Order, nor have I, to my knowledge, been rejected by any other Temple. If I be found worthy and my request be granted, I promise to conform to all the Ceremonies, Engagements, Constitutions, Regulations, and Edicts of the Imperial Council, together with those of your Temple.

I hereby declare that I am a member, in good standing, of
Benjamin Franklin Lodge No. 642 Located at St. Louis MO
Birthplace Alexanderia Russia
Date of Birth July 29 – 1886
Profession or Occupation Mgr. Justin T Flint Laundry
Residence 6422 San Bonita
Business Address 4228 Finney Ave
Mail Address 6422 San Bonita
Date Dec 3, 1927
Signature (full name) Herman Max Feinstein

Recommended and vouched for on the honor of: Nobles [2 illegible signatures]

Fee One Hundred Dollars herewith
Committee Report (initialed)




Notes:

1) One never knows where one will find important information. Last month I wrote of my rediscovery of this document I retrieved from the local Shrine Temple office.  It's the only place I've found where my great grandfather wrote down a city for his place of birth.  (Usually he just wrote down 'Russia.').  He left Russia at age 4 or 5.

2) His residence, and his occupation, is the same in 1927 as it would be nine years later in 1936 when he applied for Social Security.  However, it seems the address for the laundry where he worked moved a couple doors from 4228 to 4234 Finney.


3) $100 seems higher than I'd have expected for 1927.

No comments: