Monday, July 4, 2011

Amanuensis Monday: NY Militia Rolls for David Van Every - 1775, 1777

Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

I continue my project to transcribe family letters, journals, newspaper  articles, audiotapes, and other historical artifacts. Not only do the  documents contain genealogical information, the words breathe life into  kin - some I never met - others I see a time in their life before I knew  them.

I began this project back in February of 2009, and since then, many others have joined in on the meme.  Why do we transcribe?  I provide my three reasons in the linked post.  You may find others.  If you participate, feel free to leave a link to your post in the comments.

***

This week, in honor of the holiday, I transcribe the NY Militia Service Records for my 4th great grandfather, David Van Every, son of McGregory Van Every.

V 3 NY

David Van Every

Pvt {Capt Lewis Duboy’s Co. in the 3d Reg’t of New York Forces under the command of Col. James Clinton.

Revolutionary War

Appears on

Company Muster Roll

Of the organization named above for the month of June 28 to Sept 28 1775
Roll dated [?] at Ticonderoga Sept 28, 1775

Enlisted July 4, 1775
Remarks: Deserted September 12
[Signature}  Copyist



V 3 NY

David Van Every

Pvt [? ] Co. 3d New York Regiment

Revolutionary War

Appears in a book* transcribed from a register

Copied from Rolls

Of the organization named above

Date of commission, enlistment or appointment May 23, 1777
Period enlisted for 3 Yrs [?]
Occurrences Deserted 10 June 77 (or: in June 77)

*This book appears to be a transcript copied (from original rolls) in the Office of Army Accounts under the Paymaster General U.S.A, who was authorized by Congress, July 4, 1783, to settle and finally adjust all accounts whatsoever between the United States and the officers and soldiers of the American Army. (Journal American Congress, Vol. 4, Page 227.) N. & P. 436,786.
Vol. 2, page 135
[signature]
Copyist.

Source for both (as provided by Footnote): 
Publisher: NARA
National Archives Catalog Title: Compiled Service Records of Soldiers Who Served in the American Army During the Revolutionary War, compiled 1894 - ca. 1912, documenting the period 1775 - 1784 
Publication Number: M881
Record Group: 93


Notes:

1) These are not primary documents.   The second one appears to be a transcription, from a book, which itself was a transcription from the original rolls.  (Or at least, it appeared so to the copyist.)  And here I am adding a third transcription, though I provide the image of the second.

The first one may be a direct transcription from the original rolls, so I'm providing the second transcription.

I was able to find what appears to be one original muster roll

This one contains (nine names up from the bottom of the third column) the record of David's desertion on September 12, 1775.

[I don't appear to have written down Footnote's source information when I originally downloaded it, and I can no longer find the record on Footnote, even though I have searched on a few other names that appear on the roll.]

2) David Van Every later joined the United Empire Loyalists, and served in Butler's Rangers

No comments: