Thursday, May 26, 2011

Carnival of Genealogy - 4th Annual Swimsuit Edition

It's time for 106th edition of the Carnival of Genealogy, and the theme is the 4th annual Swimsuit Edition.

I participated in 2008 and 2009, but missed participating last year.

This year I'm sharing a photograph of my grandfather, Melvin Newmark, about to jump off a dock.  The year is approximately 1930, and he's wearing a one-piece suit that was common for men in the era, but would be rare today.  The photograph comes from my grandmother's scrapbook, so I assume she was the photographer, though the photograph pre-dates their 1936 marriage.

I don't know the other individuals in the photograph.  The child in the background would be about the right age for my grandfather's younger brother, Mandell (born in 1923), though the kid in the picture appears to have slightly darker hair than other photos of Mandell I have at that age.  Though it could be a matter of lighting.


5 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

I love his expression and pose - he's giving it his all!

Nancy said...

That's a fun photograph. When I enlarged it I noticed the man crouching behind Melvin, looking through his legs. I wonder if he was a prankster or just having some fun.

John said...

I wish I knew who the friends were. It's possible that my grandfather, and the individual to his left (our right) are about to race. I have no clue what the guy behind him is doing.

Jasia said...

Great photo, John! I just love period photos in all there glory. Your grandfather sure looks like he's having fun!

Brett Payne said...

He is, of course, showing off, as we all tended to do to a certain extent at that age, I suppose, and the others are all trying to steal a bit of the attention. Great shot, and a nice contribution to the Carnival, thanks.