Monday, May 16, 2011

Amanuensis Monday: Martin Deutsch - Application for Certificate of Citizenship

Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

I continue my project to transcribe family letters, journals, newspaper articles, audiotapes, and other historical artifacts. Not only do the documents contain genealogical information, the words breathe life into kin - some I never met - others I see a time in their life before I knew them.

I began this project back in February of 2009, and since then, many others have joined in on the meme.  Why do we transcribe?  I provide my three reasons in the linked post.  You may find others.  If you participate, feel free to leave a link to your post in the comments.

***

My grandfather, Martin Deutsch, was born in Transylvania (Hungary), and immigrated to America as a child in 1913.  He was naturalized as a dependent when his father became a citizen.  In 1958, when his mother passed away, he discovered in her effects a copy of his birth certificate.  Even though his citizenship was never in question during his many years of employ at the US Post Office, nor during his service in World War II, he decided he wanted an official Certificate of Citizenship, which his birth certificate allowed, so he filled out the application for one.  One of the things I am grateful for is the tendency of my maternal grandparents to save their copies of various documents  Unlike official Naturalization documents, while the INS received the application, I suspect their copy wasn't preserved.

US DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE                                                             This is applicant’s copy
IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION SERVICE
APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP
UNDER SEC. 341 OF THE IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY ACT
Take or mail this application to:
IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION SERVICE

Martin Joel Deutsch
417 Oakley Drive
Clayton 5, Missouri

I hereby apply to the Commissioner of Immigration and Naturalization for a certificate showing that I am a citizen of the United States of America.

1. (If a married woman) My maiden name was ……….
2. I was born in Varalmas, Austria-Hungary on ………
3. My personal description is: Sex male; complexion medium ruddy; color of eyes brown; color of hair dark; height 5 feet 8 inches; weight 150 pounds; visible distinctive marks none.

Marital Status: Widow(er)

4. I arrived in the United States at Baltimore, Maryland under the name of Marton Deutsch, on March 1913 by means of Bremen-Rhein.
5. My last permanent foreign residence was Varalmas, Austria-Hungary
6. The place where I took the ship or train to the United States was Bremen, Germany.

Answer questions (7), (8), and (9) only if you arrived in the United States before July 1, 1924.

7. The person in the United States to whom I was coming was Samuel Goldberg
8. The place in the United States to which I was going was Chicago, Illinois
9. The names of some of the passengers or other persons I traveled with, ncluding members of my family, and their relationship to me, if any, are Solomon Deutsch, (father) Jenka (Jean) Deutsch, (sister) Erno (Edward) Deutsch (brother) Yeno (Theodore) Deutsch, (brother).

10. I have not been absent from the United States except as follows:
Date departed: April ‘42
Date returned: June ‘44
Name of ship, or of airline, railroad company, bus company, or other means used to return to the United States: Air Transport Command USA
Place or port of entry through which you returned to the United States: Air Base, New York

11. I claim United States citizenship through my father.
12. My father’s name is Solomon (Sam) Deutsch; he was born at Vitka, Austria Hungary on Dec 20, 1861 and now resides at deceased; he did become a citizen of the United States at naturalization on Oct 14, 1921 in the Superior Court of Cook County at Chicago, Illinois. Certificate of Naturalization No. 134-9504; he was last a citizen of Austria Hungary; he resided in the United States from 1913 to 1938 (date of decease)
13. My mother’s maiden name was Hermina (Helen) Lichtmann; she was born at Margita, Austria Hungary on Jan. 12, 1881 and now resides at deceased; she did become a citizen of the United States at naturalization; on Oct 14, 1921 in the Court of Derivative citizenship from husband, my father, Solomon Deutsch Certificate of Naturalization No 134-9504; she was last a citizen of Austria Hungary; she resided in the United States from 1912 to 1958 (year of decease). She and my father were married on 1897 at Varalmas, Austria Hungary. My mother has been married 1 time(s), and my father has been married 2 time(s).
14. My ____ served in the Armed Forces of the United States from ___ to __ and was/was not honorably discharged.
15. I have not filed a declaration of intention or petition for naturalization.
16. I have not lost my United States citizenship in any manner. To the best of my knowledge the person(s) through whom I claim citizenship have not lost United States citizenship.
17. Should a certificate of citizenship be issued to me, I desire it to be issued in the name of Martin Joel Deutsch
18. I submit the following documents with this application:
Name of Document.............Names of persons concerned
Birth Certificate...................Marton (Martin J) Deutsch
Tranlation, with affidavit of translator
Affidavit re parentage from friend
Affidavit re parentage from brother
Photograph

Notes:

1) I enjoy seeing old addresses that pre-date the five-digit zip-code system.  Prior to the US adoption of zip codes in 1963, many large cities had "postal zones," and the zip codes often preserved the zone numbers, so it's probably not a coincidence that Clayton Missouri's current zip code ends with the digit, 5.

2) My grandfather doesn't enter his date of birth on this document, but it is on his birth certificate - Feb 28, 1907.

3.  A couple years ago I transcribed the Affidavits of Support for my great grandfather, Samuel Deutsch.  This included an affidavit from Samuel Goldberg, who claimed to be a nephew.  I still haven't figured out how he was related.

4. I like seeing the Hungarian names associated with my grandfather's siblings, since they were Americanized instantly upon their arrival.

5.  The information on his parents appears elsewhere, though it was nice to have the exact numbers of his father's naturalization documents.  I have submitted an application to the Chicago courts to retrieve them.

6.  Here's an image of the certificate my grandfather received.

No comments: