Monday, May 30, 2011

Amanuensis Monday: Draft Registration for Aaron Feinstein

Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written Iby another.

I continue my project to transcribe family letters, journals, newspaper articles, audiotapes, and other historical artifacts. Not only do the documents contain genealogical information, the words breathe life into kin - some I never met - others I see a time in their life before I knew them.

I began this project back in February of 2009, and since then, many others have joined in on the meme.  Why do we transcribe?  I provide my three reasons in the linked post.  You may find others.  If you participate, feel free to leave a link to your post in the comments.

***

This week, in honor of Memorial Day, I looked through various wartime documents.  I decided to transcribe the World War I draft registration of Aaron Feinstein, the youngest brother of my great grandfather, Herman Feinstein.  

Date: Sept 27, 1918
1. Name (First, Middle, Last): Aaron _ Feinstein
2. Permanent Home Address: 1614 Burd St. Louis MO
3. Age in Years: 20
4. Date of Birth: Dec 5 1898
Race (5-9): White
US Citizen (10-14): Natural Born
15: If not a citizen of the US of what nation are you a citizen or subject?
16: Present Occupation: Auto Mechanic
17: Employer's Name: H. Feltenberger Garage
18. Place of Employment or Address: Pargaould Ark
Nearest Relative: Mother
19. Name: Annie Feinstein
20. Address: 1614 Burd, St. Louis, Mo

I Affirm That I Have Verified Above Answers And That They Are True
(signature)

Notes: 

1) Most of the time the major point of interest for me looking at the Draft Registration is the date of birth the individual chose to write down.  It doesn't surprise me that the SSDI records Aaron's birth in February of 1897.  21 year olds claiming to be 20 weren't uncommon.  I do note that at the date of registration, Aaron would have still been three months shy of his 20th birthday, but he was either told to round up, or made an error in filling out the form.

2) Aaron's place of occupation also stands out.  I am unsure how he obtained the job as an auto mechanic iin Paragould, which is a good 200 miles south of St. Louis.  By 1920 he was a chauffeur for a Saul Bertig in Paragould.

No comments: