Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday: Melvin Lester Newmark (1912-1992)


My grandfather, Melvin Lester Newmark, was born on August 27, 1912, on the one year wedding anniversary of his parents, Barney and Bertha (Cruvant) Newmark. Through his initials, he was named after his grandfather, Moshe Leyb Cruvant.

He married my grandmother, Belle Feinstein, near midnight on May 10, 1936 in Waterloo, Illinois. Neither family was told. There seems to have been no reason for the secrecy beyond the two being unable to wait for the family wedding that was held six months later in January of 1937.

He died on January 22, 1992, while vacationing in Palm Springs, Riverside, California. He is buried at United Hebrew Cemetery in St. Louis.

There are several things I believe I inherited from my paternal grandfather - a passion for word games, such as the crossword puzzle; a love for food; and a constant smile.

No comments: