Friday, December 12, 2008

Blog Caroling

The FootnoteMaven has set December 12th as Blog Caroling Day.

Yes, even bloggers have traditions. From the comfort of my blog, with Hot Toddy in hand, my flannel jammies and furry slippers on, I will blog my favorite Christmas Carol on Friday, December 12.

So my fellow GeneaBloggers, I challenge each of you to blog your favorite Christmas Carol - Blog Caroling. We'll all sing along!
Here are my four favorite Hanuka song YouTube Videos

1) Adam Sandler's Original Hanukkah Song
[I like this concert video since he used the concert video screens to display pictures of all the people mentioned in the song.]



2) The Leevee's "How do you spell Channukkahh?"



[Pedantic note: There is no one proper way to spell the word in English. Since the Hebrew alphabet uses different characters, any English spelling is a phonetic approximation. And as the song points out, in Spanish, the initial 'H' sound is spelled with a J.]

3) Tom Lehrer's "Hanukkah in Santa Monica"



4) Peter Yarrow, Paul Stookey, and Mary Travers performing "Light One Candle" [Written by Peter Yarrow]
(Yes, I like the serious songs too.)



And my favorite Christmas Carol, which I have difficulty listening to without crying.

5) Skip Ewing's "My Name is Christmas Carol"
[I chose this particular video since it provides the lyrics as well]

3 comments:

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Peter, Paul and Mary is certainly a blast from my past. I was hunting youtube for "Christmas Carol" by the Oakridge Boys so I'm surprised I didn't run across the one by Ewing, very pretty. My kids love Adam Sandler but I guess he's just not my cup of tea. At my grandson's holiday concert they did a lovely Hanaukkah song but I can't remember the name of it. Thanks for sharing all of these.

Jasia said...

"My Name is Christmas Carol" is a lovely song. I've never heard it before. Thank you for sharing it.

Schelly Talalay Dardashti said...

Hi, John,

How could I have forgotten "Hanuka in Santa Monica" in my Chanukah songfest? Thanks for reminding me about this great song!

Schelly