Thursday, October 9, 2008

Smile For the Camera: Funny Bone

The word prompt for the 6th Edition of Smile For The Camera is Funny Bone. Show us that picture that never fails to bring a smile to your face! An amusing incident, a funny face, an unusual situation.




I love candid photographs of my grandparents when they were children or young adults. This photograph is of my maternal grandmother, Myrtle Van Every, and I find the smoked glasses she is wearing humorous (as did I think she, from the caption). If she was 'looking for stars' I assume she was in the vicinity of Hollywood. I don't know who is with her in the photograph. They could be friends, however equally possible is that they are relatives, as one of the letters her father wrote to her around this time indicates she had visited unspecified cousins in California. (And since her father had over a dozen siblings, that doesn't narrow it down much.)



This photograph is of my paternal grandfather, Melvin Newmark. It was taken approximately 1930 just at the right moment before he dived off what looks like a lake dock. There's a good chance he was in the "Lake of the Ozarks" area of Missouri. I believe the photographer was "Sissie" Feinstein, who would ultimately become my grandmother. The photograph was in her scrapbook. I don't know who his friends are. They appear to be having a lot of fun.

1 comment:

Janet Iles said...

Both are great photos. I love the glasses and the action shot.