Wednesday, July 9, 2008

O Microspatula, My Microspatula

Ode to a Microspatula

O device made from steel
of the stainless variety
so thin, yet so shapely –
How can I ever repay?

Some use your strong metal
to extricate staples, spread
adhesive, or separate pages
which have become attached.

You help me to rescue
the memories of my past
from the sticky undersides
of their present enclosures.

O device made from steel
of the stainless variety
so thin, yet so capable –
How can I show my gratitude?

©2008 John C Newmark

They were designed for chemists.
The National Archives recommends using them to remove staples and other fasteners.
Librarians and Bookbinders find them useful as well.
I'm thankful to Sally Jacobs, The Practical Archivist, for suggesting their usage in extricating photographs from sticky photo albums.

This is what mine looks like:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is an amazing device.

BDN

Sally J. said...

Isn't it the ideal tool for those *%&^! magnetic albums? And the funny thing is, microspatulas are created to scoop powdered chemicals into vials. Nothing to do with preservation at all.

Your poem is a delight, John. It made my day. Cheers!